Re: Please don't cause unneeded traffic for TOR

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

PRISM? I don't care, so I use the Vidalia package only when I really
need security.

sounds like you feel the need for anonymity only infrequently.  i
gather you must feel relatively secure.

if so, that must be nice.

Keep in mind, if you're against PRISM it's also useful to give them
useless information.

really?  how useful is it?

i think this piece of advice is misleading and counter-productive.

the plans of tptb include plenty of storage, and they appear to have
gone out of their way to collect as much data as possible.  an
observer could reasonably conclude from this that tptb in the us spy
agencies believe their analytic tools produce better results from
greater volumes.

you, on the other hand, seem to believe it is the other way around.

what is your evidence for this assertion?

There's no need to use TOR, if you look a vocable up.

you can not know this.

it is not hard to conceive of circumstances under which such a search
would be better for the user to conceal.

I'm against intelligence agencies.

so you say.  you also say you wish Tor were less used.

the fence you are sitting on does not look comfortable.

I wonder that people are surprised about the latest news.

yeah, they are.  go figure.  some of them even feel moved to do
something about it.

put on some shades.  don't lose your cool.

Smart people were aware of this 10 years ago and even before we had
the Internet.

and now many more people are, to the benefit of all except those who
share the intelligence agencies' interests.

Please don't block TOR by unneeded traffic, reconsider that in the past
people didn't take care about trackers, social networks, while even
silly people were aware that all the analytic and social networks are
risky. People tended to allow java etc. ...

huh. mysteriouser and mysteriouser.  do you suppose something might
have spooked them?

any idea what it could have been?

and now hysteria [...]

which hysteria?

is refraining from using the Tor network the only way to alleviate its
congestion?  really?

why not encourage users to consider setting up exit nodes, or
otherwise help the Tor project?

wouldn't this be a more constructive response than requesting that
everyone stand back and leave the use of its network to "people who
really need it"?

wouldn't it be less hysterical?

[...] or "I want to fake that I'm a computer expert" [...]

there are no computer experts.  that is why hubris is one of the three
virtues.

[...] does freeze TOR for people who really need it.

wouldn't you agree that the class of "people who really need" Tor is
well-served, in the long run, by a large user-base?

Please stop sing TOR just for fun!

magic 8-ball says this anti-fun campaign of yours is doomed to
failure.

but okay.  so you are a user of some free software who would like
everyone else, whose use-case does not fit your own (vague) standards,
to kindly refrain from using that free software.

you appear to make the claim that *not* using the software will
enable, if not enhance, others' use of it.

doesn't a growing population of users encourage the improvement of a
tool?

-wes