Re: Dot files, get them out of the way

hi ralf.

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 04:44 -0400, shawn wilson wrote:
You could probably do:
su -l $USER HOME=$HOME/$app $app

Hi Shawn,

that's great, thank you very much! I can add this to my next audio
session scripts, so no searching for hidden configs anymore, for apps
that don't allow to set a path by the app. No backup and restore
of /home and copying configs needed for a single song anymore.

maybe i'm not understanding something.  that would not be too
surprising.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ echo $USER $HOME
rocketmouse /home/rocketmouse
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ su -l $USER HOME=/mnt/music/ gedit
Password:
-bash: HOME=/mnt/music/: No such file or directory

i would expect

 $ HOME=/mnt/music gedit

to do what you want.

there is also the env command.  but as far as i can see, bash alone
is sufficient here.

-wes