Re: Dot files, get them out of the way

You could probably do:
su -l $USER HOME=$HOME/$app $app
(untested)
Also maybe see about wrapping what you need (probably tons of app specific mojo) around fakeroot or even use fakeroot and schroot to bring in only what you need (love the idea for services and browsers but not for this problem).

Along the same lines (half of the mojo I was referring to) https://github.com/stepb/froot

On Jul 9, 2013 2:57 AM, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 14:28 -0600, Matthew Moore wrote:
> Arch had a package called "libetc" that did exactly what you want, but
> its been unmaintained for years now. Someone forked it, though, and
> people on the Arch forums seem to have it working:
>
> https://github.com/sloonz/rewritefs
>
> I've never used it before.

Interesting, when I make music I would like to have the dot files that
usually should be in /home, in a music production directory, because the
configurations do change for different audio productions and I want to
be able to restore such an audio session by a script.

Fortunately Arch at the moment is my preferred distro, perhaps I'll test
it too, however on Arch there also is the need to compile it:

[rocketmouse@archlinux avlinux]$ yaourt -S rewritefs
error: target not found: rewritefs
[rocketmouse@archlinux avlinux]$ yaourt -S libetc
Comment by Sloonz  (2010-12-22 11:39)
Note : libetc is unmaintained (both in AUR and upstream). You can use
rewritefs instead.

libetc 0.4-2  (Mon Mar 24 16:51:29 CET 2008)
This package is orphaned
( Unsupported package: Potentially dangerous ! )