Re: Dot files, get them out of the way

On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 14:44 +0200, ha wrote:
> Would you care to explain how to accomplish that setup?
> It would be nice to have only one file that contains configuration (like
> etc/, let's say .conf/) and not to have to search trough two dozens of
> dot files every time I click on the "Browse" button in whatever
> application - just to find documents/ work/ or data/ directory...

An example for a user that doesn't have the home in /home:

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ grep 100 /etc/passwd
rocketmouse:x:1000:1000::/home/rocketmouse:/bin/bash
chuser:x:1001:1001::/.chuser/.home:/bin/bash

So home for the user "rocketmouse" is /home/rocketmouse, but
home for the user    "chuser"      is /.chuser.

I don't have a directory /home/chuser, but I simply could run
"mkdir /home/chuser, than all the config files still would be placed
in /.chuser, but I could add my /Documents, /Work etc. directories
in /home/chuser.

However, it doesn't make sense to separate hidden files, I add this
"strange" user and the /home outside of /home for other reasons.

Important files for users are:

"/etc/shadow 	Secure user account information
/etc/passwd 	User account information
/etc/gshadow 	Contains the shadowed information for group accounts
/etc/group 	Defines the groups to which users belong
/etc/sudoers 	List of who can run what by sudo
/home/* 	Home directories" -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_Groups

I guess it doesn't differ for Debian.