Re: FQDN via DHCP, then used in exim4

On 19/05/13 12:48, Arun Khan wrote:
On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Klaus Doering
<klaus.doering999@gmail.com> wrote:
I agree that in a different setting, where there are many users,
hundreds of emails per minute and other mission-critical stuff is going
on, one needs to design the infrastructure a lot more carefully.

As a thumb rule, any system providing a service (e.g. email) ought to
be configured with static IP.  With email, you also need a DNS with a
MX resolving to the hostname/IP number of your email server.

So, the initial question remains unanswered: what happens to the
information provided by the dhcp server as reported in the lease file in
/var/lib/dhcp, how is it accessed, and is there a way to make exim4 use
it?

I use postfix, so cannot comment about exim.  In postfix, to the best
of my understanding, there is no provision to get network parameter
information from dhclient files.  I suspect the same is the case with
exim.

Thanks Arun,

This email server is not directly connected to the 'net, it sits behind
a router. Thus, there is one external IP for which I've registered an "A"
record and an "MX" record on a public DNS server, and then there is an
internal IP server on my LAN. The later one is fixed, but is not defined
in a config file on the server, but is "reserved" in the DHCP server and
assigned to the server. Same for the domain name, which internally
(i.e. on my LAN) is distributed by the DHCP server. In "dnsmasq" this
would be the "domain=" option. And it is this option that is not
acknowledged by exim.

Klaus