Re: Grub2 gives error :File not found and goes into rescue mode

Hi Igor:
            The Computer was bootoing off the mbr, though I think I made the vista partition /dev/sda1 the debian stable partition /de v/sda2 as well as the debian unsable partition  /dev/sdb2 bootable. This happened when I was upgrading from 3.8.10-slh-aptosid-686 to the the 3.9-2.slh.1 verdion. The latter must be OK because when I boot from the suoer grub disk everything is OK. Either the MBR is damaged ( when I grub install into /dev/sda eveything is sussessful and no error message is reported or there must be a bug in the version of grub which comes with the latest distribtion.

As I said earlier, I blanked out the first 512 sectors of /dev/sda and  no error is reported whenI grub-install.There is no /etc/grub in debian aptosid. all the files reside is /boot/grub. grub.gfg is here. I di d a grub-update and I verified that the UUID,s were fine, Grub is not finding a file, because the path has presumably got messed up. Afre ther any log files to llok at?

Thanks

Sebastian

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov@gmail.com> wrote:

On 19/05/2013 3:12 AM, "Sebastian Canagaratna" <s-canagaratna@onu.edu> wrote:

> Hi : I have a hard disk /dev/sda and a removable disk /dev/sdb The 1st partition
> is a vista partition, but this has been inoperable for some time /dev/sda2 has a linux
> stable partition /dev/sdb1 has linux unstable (aptosid) on it, Yesterday I was upgrading to Linux 3.9.2  and thereafter I got this error. The updrade did nt\ot go to
> completion. I have a super frub rescue disk with which I can start 3.9.2, but I am unable to repair the grub with update grub and grub-install /dev/sda.

So which partition is marked as bootable? Whats your boot order in BIOS? Which linux did you upgrade? Which grub are you trying to install and where? What do you have in /etc/grub/grub.cfg?

I have blanked out the first 512 sectors of dev/sda but that didn't help. Presumably grub is unabke