Re: libdigest-sha1-perl

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Wheezy, but needed ddclient from Sid, as that version supports
> freedns protocol. I know there are other programs/scripts, but I use ddclient
> on Slackware and just wanted to have same setup. As it turns out, that version
> needs libdigest-sha1-perl which, as I understood, is dropped in Wheezy in favor
> of libdigest-sha-perl.

That's a bit odd, Digest::SHA is bundled as part of Perl, and when looking
at that package [1] there's no mention of libdigest-sha1-perl. It sounds
like a bug if the package actually requires Digest::SHA1.

> Don't know why is it in Sid then... Anyhow, to solve
> this problem I just edited part of /usr/sbin/ddclient that checks for version
> and loads SHA1 module and replaced it with Digest::SHA module.
>
> It works just fine, but as I do not know perl or Debian that well, I don't know
> if this was right way to do it. Any thougts?

If you installed /usr/sbin/ddclient as part of package then things might
break if the package is updated. I would do a separate install (eg. copy
the binary and purge the package), or use dpkg-diverge to override the
packaged version with your modified copy.

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/ddclienty