Re: FQDN via DHCP, then used in exim4

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Klaus Doering
<klaus.doering999@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that in a different setting, where there are many users,
> hundreds of emails per minute and other mission-critical stuff is going
> on, one needs to design the infrastructure a lot more carefully.

As a thumb rule, any system providing a service (e.g. email) ought to
be configured with static IP.  With email, you also need a DNS with a
MX resolving to the hostname/IP number of your email server.

> So, the initial question remains unanswered: what happens to the
> information provided by the dhcp server as reported in the lease file in
> /var/lib/dhcp, how is it accessed, and is there a way to make exim4 use
> it?

I use postfix, so cannot comment about exim.  In postfix, to the best
of my understanding, there is no provision to get network parameter
information from dhclient files.  I suspect the same is the case with
exim.

--
Arun Khan
Sent from my non-iphone/non-android device