Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Relelased

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Siard <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:
> Patrick Bartek:
>> Siard:
>> > I've got a Kobo Glo.  When connected via USB, the 'Connect'
>> > interface immediately shows up, also with Linux.  Looks like they
>> > did already fix it.
>>
>> I have the Touch model, purchased last year, and even with the latest
>> software--updated yesterday to 2.5.1--it doesn't with Linux, but does
>> with Windows and OSX. With Linux, the 'Connect' interface flashes for
>> less than a second like it always has, then disappears.  Even 'lsusb'
>> from the command line doesn't list it. This is a known and persistent
>> problem.  Consider yourself fortunate that yours works.
>
> Yet, googling around, I haven't yet seen usb problems reported with the
> Kobo Touch and Linux.  E.g., this is what I find at
> www.darkcoding.net/misc/kobo-ereader-touch-on-ubuntu-linux/ :
>
> It's a USB device.
>
> 1. Plug it in to your Ubuntu machine (or probably any modern Linux
>    distro). It shows up as a USB storage device.
> 2. Drag and drop books in any supported format onto it.
> 3. Unplug, switch on, read books.
>
> It's that simple. If you had a solid-state MP3 player (before your
> phone played them), this will feel familiar.

DRM ebooks will not work that way (unless you strip them of course),
and the publishing industry has not yet followed the music industry on
DRM

And in my experience using direct file transfer or Calibre does not
have good odds of showing up correctly in the Kobo. Not there or
missing covers (even if they were there in Calibre). Maybe that is
just when mixing DRM and non-DRM? I know the dir structure used
natively by Kobo is totally screwy.

> The setup software is Win / Mac only, but you don't need it. When you
> start the device, it insists that you run the setup software. You don't
> have to. As far as I can tell, the setup does two things:
>
> * Forces you to create a kobobooks.com account. Lame.

I buy most of my books from there, so it isn't lame.

What is lame is how often sync and upgrades fails, especially (but far
from exclusively) on Wine. But I have rarely had any issue with the
simple mass storage aspect on Linux.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers