Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Relelased

On Sun, 05 May 2013, Gary Dale wrote:

> If your apt-sources use Wheezy and not Testing, there is no need to
> do anything different. If they use Testing, I'd advise switching to
> Stable or Wheezy for a few months until the new Testing becomes
> stable enough to use reliably.

All apt sources have always been set to "Wheezy" since I installed it
months ago.

I never use the "Stable" name any more.  Learned my lesson a
few years ago when I upgraded an install of Etch--sources set to
"Stable"--not realizing that Lenny had just become the new "Stable".  I
ended up with a hybrid system, a mix of Etch and Lenny.  Amazingly, it
still worked. And still does. However, I never 'apt-get upgraded' again
for fear of trashing it.

> If your current system uses Stable, you might want to switch that to
> Squeeze for a while. I wouldn't advise upgrading servers, etc. to
> Wheezy until you've had the chance to test the upgrade on things that
> aren't critical.

It isn't.

Nope.  Not needed.  Wheezy (while still Testing) was a clean install on
my personal desktop system replacing Fedora 12 which was showing its age
and exhibiting some problems.

All that's required now is to cease using 'dist-upgrade' for upgrading.
Dist-upgrade was recommended in the user install manual while Wheezy
was still Testing. Now, that it's Stable, 'upgrade' is the recommended
method.