Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Relelased

On Tue, 07 May 2013, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 06.05.2013 19:55, Patrick Bartek a écrit :
> > On Mon, 06 May 2013, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> >> [forgot I wanted to comment on the other paragraph as well]

> >> It should be possible to upgrade it completely to lenny and then
> >> squeeze and then wheezy. Reading the corresponding Release Notes is
> >> strongly recommended.
> >
> > Possible?  Theoretically, yes.  But, practically, I doubt it.  The
> > system is a 12 year old Thinkpad 240X with a 500MHz Pentium and
> > 192MB of RAM. When booting is complete and only the desktop (XFCE)
> > is running,
> > it uses about 125MB of RAM. I don't think it has the resources for
> > anything more advance than Etch really.  And then there's the
> > problem of
> > drivers for the old hardware.

> I have a very old computer too. I will not claim to use it on a daily
> basis of course (I have only 2 arms, so I can not manage all my 3
> keyboards :p) but it is running perfectly on what is now old-stable.
> I think I will use that box as a jukebox when I'll be able to pass
> some network cables in my walls.
>
> When I took possession of that computer, there were 64MB of RAM, a
> 10GB hard-drive, a windows 2000 NT OS and a sticker (is it the good
> word?) which claimed it is "designed for windows Me". I think it
> gives you an idea of the power of that thing... Now, I've replaced
> the HD by a 40 or 80 GB one (I do not remember exactly) and have
> added 128MB or ram (so, it now have 192MB) and it works correctly.
>
> However, I did not installed XFCE, but i3, and no desktop
> environment, as on all my systems. So, I think you could at least try
> to clean the installation, maybe first try on a live cd :)

Unfortunately, the Thinkpad 240X we're discussing here can't
boot directly off a CD or even a USB thumb drive for that matter.
Natively, it can only boot off a floppy or internal hard drive.  (I
said this thing was ancient. ;-) )  And except for the hard drive, all
other drives are externals.

Due to its age, small screen (800x600), dead (mostly) batteries which
are no longer available, and to refurbish would cost 8 times more than
the notebook is worth ($15 to $25 on eBay, if you can find it at all.
Sold new for about $2500!), it's seen better days. I keep it around as
it dual boots Windows 2000 Pro, and my Kobo Touch eReader absolutely
refuses to interface with Linux or even Windows XP running in
VirtualBox.  Kind of hypocritcal of Kobo since the OS that drives
the reader is Linux.