Re: Und last aptitude safe-upgrade

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 12:20 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 12:01 +0200, Dan wrote:
>> > I was able to downgrade
>> > But this didn't work.
>>
>> Downgrading the kernel, so that it can use the old modules, that fit to
>> the kernel version would work ;) or you build the modules to fit to the
>> new kernel ;).
>
> PS: Usually, e.g. for NVIDIA cards, the version of X is unimportant, but
> for ATI cards the proprietary driver isn't good supported, after a while
> they stop maintaining the proprietary driver, so that it won't fit to X
> anymore. It might be that you really need to downgrade X too, however,
> your current issue likely are modules that don't fit to your kernel
> version.
>

> --

Hi,

That means that AMD will not support Linux and X anymore? Is it better
to use the opensource driver?

I checked, and the kernel has not been updated. The problem is that I
didn't use the package system for the ATI drivers. I downloaded them
directly from the AMD webpage.

I do not know what is broken but I think that the easiest and fastest
is to wipe the installation and install wheezy from scratch.

Does ATI drivers work with wheezy? It seem that the bug (
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=671320 ) has been
resolved.

The bug seems to be closed, but I didn't find much information here:
http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary#fnref-8c149bc2bcfcb847ad18c87c9495ee741206088a

Dan