Re: Und last aptitude safe-upgrade

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:57:21AM +0200, Dan wrote:
>    Hi,
>    I did an aptitude safe-upgrade of my Squeeze debian. And now the drivers
>    for the graphics card are broken. I am using an Radeon Graphics card, but
>    I downloaded the drivers directly from the webpage.
>    How could I undo the aptitude safe-upgrade in order to use the xserver
>    version that I was using before the upgrade?

Generally speaking, downgrades are unsupported in Debian (the usual
warning is what if the upgrade changed a configuration file format; the
old package might be unusable as a result). Bearing that in mind you
have a number of options.

Ideally, your first option is to try and find an updated driver for your
card. Does the free ATI driver support your card [1]? If not, does the
packaged proprietary driver support your card [2]? If either of these
support your card, you'll find life much easier to switch to them - see
the wiki pages for details.

If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to use snapshot.debian.org to
get the old package version. Basically, work out the date when things
worked and then look at [3] for details of how to use the archive.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary
[3] http://snapshot.debian.org/