Re: Introductory reading on firewall/iptables/etc for new Debian user?

Richard Owlett:
> Lisi Reisz wrote:
>>
>> Also, I had to do a double take to work out which bit was a question, rather
>> than a statement.  I think that he is asking us to recommend some reading
>> matter.
>>

> I intended the subject line to convey request for reading material.

Hrmmh, it appears I didn't pay much attention to the subject.

> The body of the message was to attempt to indicate areas I knew
> would be important to me.
> I couldn't ask a specific question as I don't know anything about it
> in the Linux world.

It really depends on how deep you want to dig into the topic. For
security purposes, you should definitely learn basics of networking
(ports, IP addresses, routing etc). This knowledge is generally
indepentend of the operating system. You can then go ahead and learn
about iptables which is used in the Linux kernel for packet filtering
and manipulation

For the purpose yo described you don't need to know anything about that.
Only that apparently nobody on this list knows a program that can do
what you know from Windows.

> And yes I have found certain features useful the Windows firewalls
> I've used and liked.

If you don't rely on them as security tools, they may help, yes.

But I still don't completely understand your situation. You said you are
on dialup and want to prevent unnecessary traffic. Can't you just
disable auto-dialling? Which specific programs use the network without
your consent?

J.
--
I have been manipulated and permanently distorted.
[Agree]   [Disagree]