Re: Don't do that!

That is interesting. I have a similar setup on my workstation:

/dev/sda2                 ext4        964532     59380    856156   7% /boot

With the rest of the filesystems in an encrypted LVM container. I built (rebuilt) this machine a couple of years ago, and have never had an issue...To include power failures where the machine did not power down gracefully.

Could it have been a problem with your SSD, e.g. a bad spot, or could the initramfs have been corrupted on write?

Do you have other kernels installed? (I usually keep, at a minimum, the current one and the last one.)

--b