Re: Introductory reading on firewall/iptables/etc for new Debian user?

Jochen Spieker wrote:
[snip]

But I still don't completely understand your situation. You said you are
on dialup and want to prevent unnecessary traffic. Can't you just
disable auto-dialling? Which specific programs use the network without
your consent?

Auto dialing has been disabled for years ;)

Adobe Reader wants to update itself and I haven't found a way to disable it. If view pdf with it when I also happen be connected it just barges in and consumes my bandwidth.