Re: what's your Debian uptime?

On 2013-04-20 19:24:00 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > That's theory. In practice, old machines get no longer supported...
> > I submitted a bug report (and a patch), but AFAIK the bug has never
> > been fixed. I upgraded everything except the kernel, without being
> > sure I could boot it again (udev incompatibilities...). That's why
> > the machine was no longer rebooted.
>
> And if you get into a situation where the machine reboots whether you
> desire it or not?  Power, cosmic ray hit, dead cooling fan, other?

It was a laptop, so that power wasn't a problem. A hardware failure
wuld have meant that the machine would be probably dead anyway (after
the last boot the laptop was already more than 8 year old). This is
actually what happened a few months ago: strange noises from the disk
and I/O errors...

> It happens. Even with UPS mains and redundant power supplies.
> Hardware doesn't last forever. Will it boot? If so then great. If
> not then you have a nasty problem to sort out and the machine is
> down until you do. I would rather know about it on my schedule
> rather than its schedule.

Even if there were a software problem, I wouldn't have wasting my
time to try to fix it for a machine that was almost no longer used
(mainly just for portability testing), in particular if the machine
couldn't boot.