Re: what's your Debian uptime?

Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 18. April 2013 schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
> > On 2013-04-17 17:22:32 +1030, John Elliot wrote:
> > > $ uptime  16:51:12 up 1136 days, 17:01,  1 user,  load average: 0.22,
> > > 0.12, 0.08
> >
> > I got on 2012-11-01:
> >
> >  10:48:16 up 1150 days,  8:00,  1 user,  load average: 0.83, 0.69, 0.31
> >
> > But then there was a disk failure and the machine is no longer working.
>
> Impressive :)
>
> A machine at work which we forgot about had more than 1200 days. But
> had some hardware failure shortly later as well. I think I have the uptime
> output somewhere.

I no longer have the verbatim uptime output but on a machine that had
been mostly abandoned I find an email from me to the tech group that
it had been up for 1221 days when I started looking at it.  It needed
someone to give it some love and attention.  But It was still doing
BIND9 DNS resolving successfully and I could log in fine.  It was
running Sarge.  I was shocked by how long it had been abandoned.  I
rebooted it and upgraded it to Lenny and then to Squeeze.  The uptime
now is only 30 days since I last rebooted it for the recent new kernel
upgrade.  In that same old email I mentioned a sibling to it that had
been up 524 days.  I also rebooted and upgraded it.  I routinely see
VMs that are running over a year between reboots.  But I see that as
of a sign of abandonment.

I don't think uptime challenges are useful.  It makes people want to
do something that they shouldn't want to do.  When kernel security
upgrades come along just install them and reboot.  Human made
"machines" of all types have been running for a very long time and it
just isn't productive or useful to try to go for a record.

On the humor side though I rememeber a story about a guy who moved his
apartment.  His machine was on a UPS.  He determined a way to borrow a
second UPS and daisy chain them for more uptime and then drove like a
madman halfway to his new place where he had previously scouted and
found a public power outlet.  He stopped and charged both UPSes up
again.  Then drove the rest of the way to his new place.  The UPS
alarm was sounding the entire way.  All of this just so as to preserve
his uptime.

Bob