Re: LILO documentation

Tony van der Hoff wrote:
On 20/04/13 16:19, Richard Owlett wrote:
Tony van der Hoff wrote:
On 20/04/13 15:50, Richard Owlett wrote:
Tony van der Hoff wrote:
On 20/04/13 15:12, Richard Owlett wrote:
I need complete documentation on LILO with emphasis on lilo.conf .
Assume I'm stranded on a desert isle (SW Missouri is a fair
approximation) with a computer and a set of install disks.
What *ONE* document will answer ALL my LILO questions.
Hint: man pages and mini-HOTO's don't hack it. They presume and
summarize too much.
{I'm installing using the 8 DVD set of Debian 6.0.5}

I don't know about "one" document, but there's the user documentation
and the technical (i.e. internal) docs at
http://lilo.alioth.debian.org/

One of places I had been :{

Care to explain why you don't like it/what you really want?

In my "three score and ten" I've learned to recognize when I am too
clueless to ask a reasonable question ;/

The immediate surface symptoms include almost no change to
/etc/lilo.conf having the expected effect.

I can't get the menu to display automatically - even if at the moment it
would have only one choice.
[It does display if I hit the space-bar when LILO appears on screen.]

I can't the text describing the one menu item I have.

I suspect the document I desire would spend a dozen pages describing
only lilo.conf.

I guess you've been here, too:
http://www.netadmintools.com/html/5lilo.conf.man.html,

Yepp

but the conf is
so simple that it's hard to get it wrong.

But I'm so talented ;/

From your problem description, it almost sounds as if you're failing to
run /sbin/lilo after making changes to the lilo.conf file to allow it to
"compile" the conf.

Discovered that error early.
I've played with delay= statement and that works as expected.

I resisted the migration to grub for many years, on the basis that lilo
was a much better hammer, being as simple as required to do the job.
However, I was eventually worn down, and bent to progress, so haven't
used lilo in a while :(

I found grub2 annoying in that it wanted the menu to appear its way not mine. I'd likely would have been happy with grub legacy as its configuration was set in a single easily edited file. But what I've read seems to indicate it is being declared dead/unsupported/abandoned/... .

In all that time, I never found the need to delve much deeper into the
config than what was available in the above page.