Re: LILO documentation

On 20/04/13 16:19, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Tony van der Hoff wrote:

>>> One of places I had been :{
>>>

>> Care to explain why you don't like it/what you really want?
>>

> In my "three score and ten" I've learned to recognize when I am too
> clueless to ask a reasonable question ;/
>
> The immediate surface symptoms include almost no change to
> /etc/lilo.conf having the expected effect.
>
> I can't get the menu to display automatically - even if at the moment it
> would have only one choice.
> [It does display if I hit the space-bar when LILO appears on screen.]
>
> I can't the text describing the one menu item I have.
>
> I suspect the document I desire would spend a dozen pages describing
> only lilo.conf.

I guess you've been here, too:
http://www.netadmintools.com/html/5lilo.conf.man.html, but the conf is
so simple that it's hard to get it wrong.

>From your problem description, it almost sounds as if you're failing to
run /sbin/lilo after making changes to the lilo.conf file to allow it to
"compile" the conf.

I resisted the migration to grub for many years, on the basis that lilo
was a much better hammer, being as simple as required to do the job.
However, I was eventually worn down, and bent to progress, so haven't
used lilo in a while :(

In all that time, I never found the need to delve much deeper into the
config than what was available in the above page.

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |