Re: what's your Debian uptime?

On Apr 19, 2013 8:11 PM, "Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> Whatever I see in all your comments is this:
>
> Most of the people show a big uptime. 100 days, 400 days, 500 days, even more
> than a 1000 days! So many people do this. It proves, how stable a good system
> can be and it also shows the great work of the developers.
>
> If I compare it to other commercial systems (aka Windows). you can see the
> high quality, what people can do, if they like and have fun, what they are
> doing.
>
> Money is no garant for quality. It is freedom, it is fun and it is motivation.
>
> So let's all work together, to keep these things.
>
> Let us say to all developers and their helpers:
>
> Thank you very much for all the work and help we got from you!!!
>
> Best regards
>
> Hans
>

> --

Windows web servers (IIS) *need* to be rebooted nightly.
Initially I thought that was only true for IIS 5/6. However it turns out you'll have to go back to the old habits also on the new and improved IIS 7 and 7.5. :-)

Is it bad code of the developers who write the sites? Is it the same old habits of the developers writing IIS, or the program managers who deliver IIS? I have no idea. Thing is that on heavily used systems things go bad and they magically start working again after a reboot.
Worst than this (maybe?) is that I'm starting to get the impression that clustered hyper-v servers might also need scheduled reboots. :-)

And I have a Raspberry PI with Debian with an uptime of more than 100 days. True, I'm only using it as an bind+dhcp server but still..

Long live Debian and the philosophy behind it!

--
Sent from my Brick (TM)