Re: How to get Debian live running from flash with persistence

On Mon 15 Apr 2013 at 21:29:22 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013, Brian wrote:
> > That cannot happen. Updating the system might alter grub.cfg but GRUB
> > itself is not installed or reinstalled to, for example, the MBR of any
> > disk.
>
> This is not entirely correct.  You need to put all grub* packages on hold to
> make sure it won't ever update the boot loader itself.

It is entirely correct. Although the OP may not have realised it, he was
concerned whether

   grub-install /dev/sdX

was executed during an upgrade or dist-upgrade. He may have thought it
could occur during installing new GRUB packages or a new kernel. If it
does I've never experienced anything like this happening. Of course,
there may be a script which does this and I have overlooked it.