Re: How to install Debian in such a situation

On 4/16/13, Soare Catalin <lolinux.soare@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 15, 2013 11:16 AM, "Yuwen Dai" <yuwend@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/15/13, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
>> > Buy a dvd burner, not blue ray either and replace that cdrom in the old
>> > computer.  It should cost less than the new hard drive or about the
>> > same
>> >

>> Yes, this is easier.  But I want to try the harder path :-)
>
> Interesting :-)
> So you also want to learn while you're having fun?
>
> Install it from network. I suppose you already have a dhcp server. If
> you've also got another PC, you're half way there! :-)

Yes a TFTP server, but OP still needs a way to run _something_ on the
old/client PC... the current difficulty. I guess I should have asked,
does it have a floppy drive?

There's definitely something appealing about sucking an install CD
across the network. And Etherboot is much more lightweight than the
(deprecated now?) business card CD, if you can run it...
http://www.etherboot.org/