Re: debian-6.0.7-amd64 how to set resolution and refresh for free NVIDIA X drivers?

Le Mer 10 avril 2013 16:43, Jonathan Dowland a écrit :
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:49:14AM +0200, "Morel Bérenger" wrote:
>
>> [Nouveau]'s not still not working like a charm, since I tried kernel
>> try a game (regnum online, bugged as hell, but at least it have a linux
>> client which is playable) which perfectly works with official NVidia.
>> The
>> result with nouveau of 3.8 was only a black screen (for 3.2 the game
>> simply said that some features were lacking and closed).
>
> For *you*, which does not mean that this is the experience for
> *everyone*.
> Therefore there's no reason to try and discourage *anyone else* from using
>  Nouveau, unless you know categorically what in particular about your
> setup is to blame for your troubles (e.g. a specific video card), and the
> person you are discouraging has the same setup.

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:49:14AM +0200, "Morel Bérenger" wrote:
>> Of course, those features which are lacking are only for special cases,
>> and for all other stuff, nouveau is really good, my intent is not to deny
>> that fact, and I am waiting impatiently to see the 3.8 kernel in debian
>> testing, to get rid of that piece of crap named nvidia drivers, which only
>> give me problems and the ability to play one or two games I could not
>> otherwise play

This other part of my message was also explaining that it depends on the
needs of the person which want to try it.
The cases were it currently does not fit the needs of people is when heavy
3D acceleration, optimius support, or dynamic fan speed depending on
temperature is needed.
In other situations, I have not said it was not a good idea, did I?
I also said that the kernel 3.8 seems to have a fairly bettre version of
nouveau driver, which I was not able to test efficiently due to problems I
did not even tried to diagnose and fix.

I thought it was clear, but is sounds it was not, so I present my
apologies, and thanks you to have fixed my unclear words.