Re: Mozilla Firefox ESR for 64bit systems

On Sat, 2013-04-06 at 22:27 -0400, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 03:20:04 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > I use Firefox not with Debian,
> > but other distros.
>
> I didn't notice that..I see Arch Linux listed among the multitudes:
>
> http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/uploads/12.10/gldt1210.svg
>
> You can't have too many Linux distros apparently. What's to like about Arch Linux?

I've got several Linux and FreeBSD installed, but I only maintain and
use one or maximal three installs. At the moment I use Arch Linux only,
but I maintain Arch Linux and Ubuntu Quantal.

If I would use *nix for office and graphic only, I would use Debian
stable or FreeBSD, to keep environments stable as they are, as long as
possible. Since I _try_ to use Linux for audio productions for around 10
years now I _need_ distros that are close to upstream development. With
my old audio cards I once had good luck with a distro, so I "freezed" it
and used it as long as possible. I needed to get a better sound card and
since I own this card, I guess it's for less than 3 years now, I need to
hunt latest software versions, since I never got a Linux working
properly for audio productions. Once I should get a stable Linux for
audio work again, I'll freeze it and make tons of backups, I'll start
beating myself up, pray to a god and one time each year I'll nudge a
virgin into a vulcano, to ensure that I can stay with this distro as
long as possible.

Summarized, Arch is a rolling release, but anyway a major distro, IOW it
don't has release versions, just "main" and "testing" repositories and a
huge community. It's as stable as Debian stable and FreeBSD, but note,
even a stable distro that always does use latest software after it was
tested comes with the drawback, that upstream much too often changes
GUIs that much, that t will brake a sane work flow much to often.

So for example, old and current GIMP are stable, but I've got issues
with current GIMP regarding to the worflow and I don't need new options.
For different tasks it could be, that I prefer to reboot between
different *nix, usually Linux.

Btw. since around one or two years I need a Windows too, fortunately
just on a virtual machine. I _won_, didn't buy it myself, an iPad and
regarding to this, I need ad-hoc for the network or iTunes. Ad-hoc never
worked, I'm testing it from time to time, iTunes doesn't run on wine, so
I installed XP to VBox.