pkg-config not returning correct version number - help please

Hi,

I did something to cause pkg-config to not return the correct version number. I issue:

$ pkg-config --exists --print-errors 'fontconfig >= 2.10.91'
Requested 'fontconfig >= 2.10.91' but version of Fontconfig is 2.10.2

This is after I (believe I) successfully installed from sources  fontconfig-2.10.91 .

When I look in the directories where pkg-config is supposed to look, I find
/usr/lib/pkgconfig$ cat fontconfig.pc
prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include
sysconfdir=/etc
localstatedir=${prefix}/var
PACKAGE=fontconfig
confdir=${sysconfdir}/fonts
cachedir=${localstatedir}/cache/${PACKAGE}

Name: Fontconfig
Version: 2.10.91
Libs: -L${libdir} -lfontconfig
Libs.private:  -lexpat -lfreetype
Cflags: -I${includedir}

Version 2.10.2 is a tar ball I installed earlier. As it turns out, I need 2.10.91, so I installed that tar ball.

If 2.10.91 is in this file, should pkg-config return that? Is there a way to get pkg-config in-sync with what is in the /usr/lib/pkgconfig directory? I tried rebooting, but that did not help.

Thanks,
Chris