Re: pkg-config not returning correct version number - help please

Chris Fisichella writes:

> Hi,
>
> I did something to cause pkg-config to not return the correct version number. I issue:
>
> $ pkg-config --exists --print-errors 'fontconfig >= 2.10.91'
> Requested 'fontconfig >= 2.10.91' but version of Fontconfig is 2.10.2
>
> This is after I (believe I) successfully installed from sources  fontconfig-2.10.91 .
>
> When I look in the directories where pkg-config is supposed to look, I find
> /usr/lib/pkgconfig$ cat fontconfig.pc
> prefix=/usr
> exec_prefix=${prefix}
> libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
> includedir=${prefix}/include
> sysconfdir=/etc
> localstatedir=${prefix}/var
> PACKAGE=fontconfig
> confdir=${sysconfdir}/fonts
> cachedir=${localstatedir}/cache/${PACKAGE}
>
> Name: Fontconfig
> Version: 2.10.91
> Libs: -L${libdir} -lfontconfig
> Libs.private:  -lexpat -lfreetype
> Cflags: -I${includedir}
>
> Version 2.10.2 is a tar ball I installed earlier. As it turns out, I need 2.10.91, so I installed that tar ball.
>
> If 2.10.91 is in this file, should pkg-config return that? Is there a way to get pkg-config in-sync with what is in the /usr/lib/pkgconfig directory? I tried rebooting, but that did not help.

Searches are done at execution time, there is nothing to be
synchronized.  You can track where pkg-config is looking for the .pc
files by executing

$ strace -e trace=open pkg-config --exists --print-errors 'fontconfig >= 2.10.91'

--
Alberto