Re: wheezy updates

On 03/20/2013 06:22 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Verde Denim wrote:
>> I have a long list of updates today for Wheezy. I was wondering - since
>> I am using Oracle Java on this particular machine, would it interfere
>> with this config to install the updates to OpenJDK and IcedTea? (I'm
>> wondering if the current config using Oracle Java would get
overwritten)...

> You are asking a question that probably only you know. It depends
> upon where you installed Oracle Java. For example, anything that you
> install in /usr/local is always yours and safe from any system
> upgrade. In my opinion I would never smash over system files with
> locally installed files because of just this reason. (But people do
> it all of the time anyway.)
>
> Where did you install your local installation of Oracle Java? Did you
> install it in /usr/local? Did you install it in /home? If so then
> you are safe. /usr/local is always safe.
>
> Bob
Thanks, Bob. Oracle Java is currently installed in
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle (runtime). I'm actually looking for the jdk
but don't see it, so perhaps this isn't installed as of yet. I'm still
setting up Eclipse and some other development pieces, so I'll likely
install the jdk at some point in the next day or so. I'll keep the final
install location in mind. Would these updates affect the runtime since
they are installed in /usr/lib? (In looking at /usr/bin/java, it is
linked to /etc/alternatives/java, which is linked to the oracle-7
directory noted here).

Thanks

--
Regards

Jack
Boston Tea Party, Coercive Acts, Powder Alarm, Revolution
Lessons not learned are bound to be repeated.