Re: wheezy updates

Verde Denim wrote:
> Thanks, Bob. Oracle Java is currently installed in
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle (runtime).

How did you install it?  Was it installed as a 'deb' file?  Or was it
simply copied into place?

The reason to know if it were installed as a 'deb' file or not is
because the files are in /usr/lib/jvm which is owned by the system.
If it is installed as a deb then the system will know this and the
files handled properly.

But if the files were copied into place outside of the package
management system then it also won't know to preserve them them.  If
it does not know about them then it might overwrite one without
knowing it.  If it is installed as a deb then the package management
system will prevent this.

I must ask this question because whenever people appear asking about
nonfree programs almost invariably it turns out that they simply
copied the files into place.  Why?  Because they are nonfree.  If it
were free(dom) software then it is almost always available packaged
for Debian and can simply be installed.  But nonfree(dom) software
can't be and therefore it is always the nonfree(dom) software that
people take shortcuts with and get into problems.  Sigh.

I should have just asked.  Why are you using Oracle Java?  Wouldn't it
be better to use OpenJDK?  Then all of these problems disappear.

> I'm actually looking for the jdk but don't see it, so perhaps this
> isn't installed as of yet. I'm still setting up Eclipse and some
> other development pieces, so I'll likely install the jdk at some
> point in the next day or so.  I'll keep the final install location
> in mind.

Okay.

> Would these updates affect the runtime since they are installed in
> /usr/lib? (In looking at /usr/bin/java, it is linked to
> /etc/alternatives/java, which is linked to the oracle-7 directory
> noted here).

If the alternatives point to Oracle Java then I think it likely that
it was packaged properly and installed that way.  What does the
alternatives say?  Here is an example from my machine.

  $ update-alternatives --display java
  java - auto mode
    link currently points to
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java
  /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java - priority 1051
    slave java.1.gz:
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/man/man1/java.1.gz
  Current 'best' version is '/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java'.

Some time ago I posted this in a discussion about the Debian
alternatives and it includes a walkthrough of how alternatives are
used and configured.  I think it is still relevant as a description of
how the Debian alternatives work for you on a system.

Bob