Re: unattended-upgrades not working

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM, David Sastre Medina <d.sastre.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:34:33PM +0100, A wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:03 PM, David Sastre Medina <
> d.sastre.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 08:32:47PM +0100, A wrote:
> > > Hola, David,
> > >
> > > The file exists under that path, but I can't confirm if it's running
> > since
> > > 'invoke-rc.d unattended-upgrades status' returns no output. The same for
> > > 'start' or 'stop' options, no output. I've checked that the proper
> > symlinks
> > > to the file exist under "/etc/rc0.d" and "/etc/rc6.d".
> > >
> > > In addition, after checking the content of the file [1], I think that it
> > > would affect unattended-upgrades only if the option
> > > "Unattended-Upgrade::InstallOnShutdown" in
> > > "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades" would be "true". Which is not
> > > my case.
> > > Anyway, I would appreciate if you could provide a way to check if the
> > > "/etc/init.d/unattended-upgrades" is up and running.
> >
> > Apparently, there's no such service, it's simply a hook to be run on
> > shutdown.
> > Have you checked if manually calling the program, e.g:
> >
> > # unattended-upgrade --dry-run
> >
> > works as expected?
> >

> Yes, I've tried it even adding the debug argument "-d" to your line above
> and the program works with no errors. The only error is that it doesn't run
> by itself, which would be great for an unattended task.
>

> > Does the package provide a cron job for scheduled unattended upgrades?
> > If not, you might need to write one yourself.
> >

> If it does, which I think it should, I can't spot it. I've checked
> "/etc/crontab" and inside "/etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly}" and I
> can't see any reference to unattended upgrades.
>
> If you have to enable unattended-upgrades by yourself using a cron job, I
> don't see what's the point of the paragraph:
>
> If you would prefer to enable it from the command line, run
> "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow unattended-upgrades".
>
> inside "/usr/share/doc/unattended-upgrades/README". If running the line
> above is not enough to enable the script, they should document all the
> steps to take.

This is from /etc/cron.daily/apt:

# auto upgrade all upgradeable packages
UPGRADE_STAMP=/var/lib/apt/periodic/upgrade-stamp
if which unattended-upgrade >/dev/null && check_stamp $UPGRADE_STAMP $UnattendedUpgradeInterval; then
    if unattended-upgrade $XUUPOPT; then
        update_stamp $UPGRADE_STAMP
        debug_echo "unattended-upgrade (success)"
    else
        debug_echo "unattended-upgrade (error)"
    fi
else
    debug_echo "unattended-upgrade (not run)"
fi

which is provided by apt:

# apt-file search /etc/cron.daily/apt
apt: /etc/cron.daily/apt

Yes, I can see the code but I still can't find why the package is not working. Should I contact the maintainer?