Re: unattended-upgrades not working

Hola, David,

The file exists under that path, but I can't confirm if it's running since 'invoke-rc.d unattended-upgrades status' returns no output. The same for 'start' or 'stop' options, no output. I've checked that the proper symlinks to the file exist under "/etc/rc0.d" and "/etc/rc6.d".

In addition, after checking the content of the file [1], I think that it would affect unattended-upgrades only if the option "Unattended-Upgrade::InstallOnShutdown" in "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades" would be "true". Which is not my case.
Anyway, I would appreciate if you could provide a way to check if the "/etc/init.d/unattended-upgrades" is up and running.

Thanks for your support.

[1] http://pastebin.ca/2328823

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM, David Sastre Medina <d.sastre.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 01:01:45PM +0100, A wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been trying to make *unattended-upgrades* working on Wheezy with no
> success so far.
>
> The steps I have followed are:
>
>  - Install *unattended-upgrades*
>  - Enable it
>
>         sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow unattended-upgrades
>
>  - Uncomment the following lines in
> */etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades*
>
>         "o=Debian,n=wheezy";
>         "o=Debian,n=wheezy-updates";
>         "o=Debian,n=wheezy-proposed-updates";
>         "o=Debian,n=wheezy,l=Debian-Security";
>
>  - Wait two days
>

> It's supposed to run every day, but it did nothing by the time. I've
> checked its logs at */var/log/unattended-upgrades/* and apt history log at
> */var/log/apt/history.log* but nothing happened there since the
> installation.
>
> Is there any step I am missing to enable it? After reading the doc under
> */usr/share/doc/unattended-upgrades/README*, I think that the above are the
> only ones you have to follow to get it running.
> By the way, I use to shut down this box every night and turn it on again in
> the morning, so I installed *anacron* to prevent *cron* from missing its
> *cron.daily* jobs if the machine is off.
>
> Thanks in advance for your support.

From the package's file list¹, I see there's a service script:

/etc/init.d/unattended-upgrades

is it running and configured to be run on boot?

¹ http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/all/unattended-upgrades/filelist

--
Primary key fingerprint: AD8F BDC0 5A2C FD5F A179  60E7 F79B AB04 5299 EC56