Re: Raid 5

On 03/06/2013 02:34 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 06/03/13 02:31 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 06/03/13 02:26 PM, Adam Wolfe wrote:

Ignore the advice from Adam Wolfe - it's nonsense. Use the Debian installer (advanced mode) to create the RAID 5 array on drives with just one partition (whole disk) as /dev/md0. Then partition the RAID 5 array into / and /home. Install and reboot.

If you are using Wheezy this will work directly. If you are using Squeeze then you may need to fix the UUID in /boot/grub.cfg.

I've done this successfully several times. It just works.

Eh.  I tried that too.  Grub failed to install.

If grub doesn't install, then install it. Boot using the Debian installer as a rescue CD, start the RAID array, chroot to the / partition and install grub.

BTW: I assume you are using Squeeze which is slightly more problematic due to the older versions of software. Wheezy works fine and I'd recommend it for anyone's desktop. It's probably good enough for servers at this point, but if you're looking after servers, you should be able to handle RAID on Squeeze. :)

Naw. I was using Wheezy. Partitioning the multiple drives did indeed give me /dev/md0 but grub still wanted to install to /dev/sda, and thus failed.