Re: Two copies of E-Mail (Re: I wish to advocate linux)

On Sat 02 Mar 2013 at 09:20:14 -0800, David Guntner wrote:

> Brian grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> >
> > "Be strict in what you send and generous in what you receive" is still a
> > good maxim to follow.
>
> I agree.  And when I'm setting up a mail *server* (which typically
> services the needs of multiple users, even if I'm most likely going to
> be the only one using it), I follow that to a reasonable degree (I do
> set up some fairly conservative DNSBL lookups for the worst spam
> offending sources).  But when I (or any other person, for that matter)
> am setting up my personal mail handling, I'm free to be as strict on
> what I receive as I care to.
>
> And face it, the scenario you describe above is not one I (or a number
> of other people) are likely to run into all that often.  Possible, sure.
>  Probable, not as much.

Email deletion is final and irrecoverable. I am not prepared to delete
mail based on an optional email header. You are. That's all there is to
it. :)

[Snip]

> As with anything, use the mail processing rules which work for you.  I'm
> clearly not the only person in the world who *really* doesn't like
> getting duplicate copies of mailing list replies, or I wouldn't have
> posted that (I only did so because someone was complaining about exactly
> that problem).  And I, for one, am not going to give up the convenience
> of the above rule on the off chance that a 1-in-1000 scenario such as
> the one you describe might happen. :-)

That's fine. It's your mail.

> One thing that always amuses me about these types of discussions:  Every
> once in a while, someone such as yourself will come along and say
> something along the lines of, "Oh, you shouldn't do that because
> scenario X might possibly happen."  But they never post an alternative,
> which accomplishes the same goal without the perceived pitfall.

I tend to be amused when someone such as yourself expects me to solve a
problem for them which can be solved by using the 'delete' key. You have
the ideal solution for your needs. I have one for mine. Mine has the
benefit of the judgement and decision making being made by a human being.

> So, for those who think the above rule is some kind of evil incarnate
> because Something Bad Might Happen - if you really want to talk someone
> out of using such rules, provide an alternative that gives the same
> functionality, without causing the Something Bad That Might Happen. :-)

This is a straitjacket requirement which brooks no alternative view.
What it says is "Give me an answer formulated in my terms". Sorry, you
are seeking a technical solution to a social problem. It doesn't exist.