Re: Two copies of E-Mail (Re: I wish to advocate linux)

On Fri 01 Mar 2013 at 00:35:35 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> David Guntner wrote:
> > Anyway, the recipe is dirt simple.
> > # Duplicate Suppression.
> > :0Whc: $MAILDIR/.msgid.cache.lock
> > | $FORMAIL -D 8192 $MAILDIR/.msgid.cache
> >
> >         # Take out the Trash.
> >         :0 a:
> >         /dev/null
> >
> > That's all there is to it.  The formail program is used to grab the
> > Message-ID of the incoming message.  Even if it is sent To: one address
> > and CC: another, both "copies" will have the same Message-ID.  When the
> > first one comes in, it stores that ID in the $MAILDIR/.msgid.cache file
> > after first comparing the message to see if that ID has already been
> > stored there.  If not, then it stores the ID and returns a FALSE so that
> > the second part ("take out the trash") won't process.  If the Message-ID
> > already *has* been stored in the cache file, then it returns a TRUE and
> > the second part then dumps the message into /dev/null.
>
> If it works for you then great.  But this is not without problems for
> others.

I send you mail with a job application. You accidentally delete it and
request I provide it again. I enter my sent mail folder and use the
bounce facility in Mutt to resend the mail. The procmail rule deletes
it. At some point I may start to wonder why I never made the short-list.

"Be strict in what you send and generous in what you receive" is still a
good maxim to follow.