Re: Install failed - USB flash to USB drive [SOLVED]

On 02/03/13 19:25, Mark Filipak wrote:
> I successfully installed this:
>
> debian-live-6.0.6-amd64-lxde-desktop.iso
>
> to a USB flash in Windows with this:
>
> dd bs=1M if=debian-live-6.0.6-amd64-lxde-desktop.iso od=e:
>
> (where 'e:' is the USB flash's Windows device letter - note that the
> 'od=' switch is not documented in command-line help.)

I assume od stands for 'output device/drive/disk', and I guess it's a
Windows-specific extension - under Unix/Linux, everything is considered
to be a file, so it's not needed.

> Then I booted from the USB flash and installed Debian + LXDE desktop to
> a USB drive.
>
> (The GRUB bootloader install failed toward the end of the installation.)
>
> The problem is in the GUI installer. To do the installation
> successfully, use the text-based installer.

So you've succeeded now? Cool. I don't think I've ever used the
graphical installer myself; mostly it looks like it's just a prettier
version of exactly the same thing, and I'm not too worried about
prettiness :-) Plus it means that a whole bunch of extra hardware (video
card and mouse, anyway) have to be behaving at install time.

Richard