Re: Install failed - let's start again, without bogus assumptions, please.

On 2013/3/1 10:39 PM, Mark Filipak wrote:
On 2013/3/1 10:03 PM, green wrote:
Shane Johnson wrote at 2013-03-01 20:53 -0600:
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Mark Filipak <markfilipak.linux@gmail.com>wrote:
During the Debian installation (to USB thumb drive or USB hard drive),
when it goes to install GRUB, it fails.

To help further with this, we will need clarification on the error you are
getting from the grub install.  There are many reasons it can fail and
without specifics, we can't assist.

Assuming you are using the standard Debian installer in text mode, you
may want to check for more details about the failure by pressing
Alt+F4 (I think it is 4, rather than 2 or 3) immediately after the
installer gives the error (Alt+F1 returns you to the installer).

I'm running the Debian installer that's built into a Debian Live ISO image that's been raw written (dd) to a USB flash drive. Thus, I'm not running it from a command line. I boot the USB flash drive and click on the desktop icon identified as the Debian Installer. I do not do any prepartitioning or preformatting except upon retry after a failure. When I retry after a failure, the live OS automounts the target's existing partitions (that had been created during the previous try). I found that unmounting those existing partitions doesn't work. I have to run the installer, delete the partitions, then reboot, then rerun the installer.

I have no idea what problem the GRUB installer encounters. I have no opportunity to press Alt+F4 as the installer automatically runs full-screen and I can't get back to the LXDE desktop until I back out of the installer and quit.

Hmmm... Perhaps I can press Alt+F4 when the error occurs. I wasn't instructed to do that, and I don't know what Alt+F4 does since I'm not a Linux user, but I can try it. I'll quit Windows, reboot to USB, and try it.... stay tuned... I'll be right back.

I'm back. Things have changed. When I booted Debian Live, it wouldn't recognize the USB hard drive when I plugged it in. I quit, rebooted Windows, and looked at it with Disk Manager. The USB hard drive is there with all its partitions. I'll boot back to Debian Live and try again, but I'd say that something Debian has broken. We'll see, eh?
Stay tuned. I'll be right back.