Re: 10 top myths of debian

Yaro Kasear wrote:
I don't know if Debian's the most SECURE distribution. It doesn't really have a "hardened profile" or anything like what Gentoo offers. (Gentoo isn't a prime example of a secure Linux system, I more point to the concept of having a "hardened" base available, whihc Debian doesn't really offer.) Debian's known for being incredibly STABLE and high quality, and embraces FOSS standards pretty well.

But unless Debian is bundling an alternate base system built around stuff like Tomoyo, GrSecurity, PaX, or SELinux and starts loading up their packages with hardened patchsets I wouldn't boast about it being a "security-focused" distro.

The backports are an excellent thing. And the Debian security team does an excellent job. Lets just be realistic and a little more honest and say Debian is "one of the most secure" but I can't call it "THE most secure" unless the system can go hardened readily.

Good point. And when you start talking security to the point of serious testing and configuration control, I believe there are very few distributions that are on the DoD approved product list.

On the BSD side, OpenBSD (despite the name), focuses on security, and has a pretty good reputation for being pretty secure.

Miles Fidelman