Moving from a proprietary OS - unnecessarily inful experience -- was [Re: I wish to advocate linux]

Brian wrote:
On Thu 28 Feb 2013 at 09:36:29 +0000, Joe wrote:

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:04:04 -0500
Mark Filipak <markfilipak.linux@gmail.com> wrote:

Let me give you an example of the kind of insensitivity (or myopic
stupidity) that seems to be the hallmark of the Linux community. In
the Debian live page, dd is offered as the way to copy the ISO file
to a USB stick. But the dd program offered only runs in Linux! What
good is that to someone who is running Windows at the time?

A Linux article that proposes the use of Linux (actually Unix) commands
and not Windows commands? Whatever next?

I think Mark has made a fair point, but not in a fair way. He is
probably referring to

    http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/

which is not particularly nor exclusively aimed at Linux users. He (and
others) might wonder why there is substantial advice for users of
non-Linux OSs on writing an ISO image to a CD but nothing for writing to
a USB device.

I don't know if he was referring to that FAQ or not.
*HOWEVER*, as a senior citizen moving from Windows(tm) to Debian(tm?), I find the transition unnecessarily annoying. In the main there is not much more than lip service given to easing the transition.

I lurk on several lists on lists.debian.org. There are currently threads on at least two lists demonstrating that the problem is recognized and is being actively addressed.

who has been computing {primarily application user, some programming} for over