Flash and Firefox on Squeeze

I am running Squeeze on an AMD64 system.

I use actual Mozilla Firefox (18.0.2), NOT Iceweasel.

There are NO plugins or extensions showing in the Firefox Add-ons Manager.

I want to install flash since it is required for some sites that I am interested in. I went to install flashplugin-nonfree, and found that it was already installed! So is gnash. But neither of these plugins is showing as installed in Firefox. I located libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/.

I have made soft-links to this lib in:

./usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
./usr/local/lib/firefox-18.0.2/plugins/libflashplayer.so (where Firefox is installed)
~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
~/.mozilla/firefox/08pwe47i.default/plugins/libflashplayer.so

This has worked in the past, but none of these links has made any difference. I shut down Firefox and restarted it after making each of the above links. Still no Flash. One site that I looked at said to make the file executable. Okay. I did that. Still nothing.

What am I doing wrong?  What do I need to do to get Flash working?

All help appreciated.

Marc