Re: Thinking about using Debian

(I deleted the OP so replying here)

* On 2013 26 Feb 16:26 -0600, Soare Catalin wrote:

> So, believe me when I say NO! For the sake of technology's future, I hope
> you at least try to take some time to discover something that you will be
> able to tame and control. Be it Debian, Ubuntu (if you don't like Unity,
> there's always Lubuntu, Kubuntu...), etc..

I would heartily recommend Xubuntu.  Why?  The GUI is fairly easy to
understand coming from Windows land even if the task bar is along the
top by default.  The GUI does what it is supposed to do and it does it
quite well.  Also, while this may be somewhat of a heresy on Debian
User, Xubuntu will likely come with the drivers needed for your hardware
or offer to install the manufacturer supplied ones (I've not found a
need for those).  The installer is first rate plus it doubles as a live
CD.  Firefox and Thunderbird are included and updated regularly.

I have three of Xubuntu machines set up for my brother which I admin (he
doesn't have the computer gene like me) and he gets along just fine.  I
worry much less then if he were using something else.

- Nate