Re: Thinking about using Debian

On Feb 26, 2013 7:16 PM, "T Elcor" <telcor@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > From: Mark Filipak <markfilipak.linux@gmail.com>
>
> >>  P.S. Please don't top post.  Thanks.
> >
> > Funny... I belonged to many lists 15 or 20 years ago. All wanted folks to top
> > post and bitched about bottom-posts. Why? Bottom posts require scrolling to see
> > that latest reply. Oh well.
>
> No, bottom posting does not necessarily require scrolling to see the latest response providing that people
> quote only what is relevant to the response. In other words, that's yet another reason to bottom post,
> as it promotes a more efficient email style by reducing mindless quoting.
>

> --

I work as a systems administrator for a software development company. We have a several tens of thousand dollars contract with microsoft per year for Premium Support (R). Even with that, each case costs us $200/hour. Most of them end up with "please install the latest service pack for sql, devs say they fixed that" or "please install this KB. Yeah, I know it says it applies only to windows 2003...".

Last several years we didn't open more than 6-7 cases per year. Isn't that nice..?

Getting past this, what makes me sic and tired of ms the most is both the fact that they want everyone to be surrounded by their bad products and also push that with their license agreements. And they use their customers as testers!! Ever tried hyper-v? OMG!! Ever tried vmm?
I also recommend trying to read their official documentation for the windblows 2012 certification. It's full of stuff like "this feature is not yet (fully) implemented". Add to this bing, and tons of other products released without proper QA.

So, believe me when I say NO! For the sake of technology's future, I hope you at least try to take some time to discover something that you will be able to tame and control. Be it Debian, Ubuntu (if you don't like Unity, there's always Lubuntu, Kubuntu...), etc..

There is one more thing I noticed after working with several large multinational companies which were all ms customers: people will say "don't change if it ain't broken!". I get the feeling that even if people are gurus and certified in tons of ms products, they still behave as if they had black boxes. "I know that normally that should be the output if you do this change, but... With microsoft you can't always be sure.".

And finally, any company that registers patents just so they can sue others; or buy companies because they couldn't do a better competitive product.. does not support technology as they claim.

P.S. All names that should have had capital letters were intentionally written with the opposite out of disrespect for what the company has become.

/endrant

--
Sent from my Brick (TM)