Re: How to match last part of fullpath in apt-file with a perl reg-exp?

Le Lun 25 février 2013 2:23, David Christensen a écrit :
> On 02/24/13 16:48, Mark Filipak wrote:
>
>> Okay, here's my plan:
>> Linux - Mainly for WWW browsing & email.
>> Windows XP - For engineering applications & games - no networking at
>> all. Either multiboot, or VMware player with Linux host/WinXP client.
>> Comments? Advice? KISS.
>>

> My first step at multiboot was multiple OS's on one drive -- major PITA.

Same for me, except that the only problem I had with the problems to make
all systems communicating. This can be solved by various solutions:
_ installing a common $HOME on a FAT or NTFS partition, and using it with
all OSes (so, needs to install FAT or NTFS drivers on linux)
_ let each OS have their $HOME/%HOMEDIR% distinct, and installing drivers
for NTFS/FAT on linux and drivers for extX on windows (I never had those
windows drivers working but it should be doable if there is a real need)

I am still with the first solution on my desktop.

> But, when I tried video editing on
> a Windows 8 64-bit RP VM, it didn't work.  I don't know if the problem was
> Windows, VirtualBox, or both.  I can't predict how your
> Windows XP engineering applications and games would fare.

Virtual box does not support applications using graphical hardware
acceleration. Or at least, did not the last time I tried (well I do not
know when it was... more than a year ago, at least).

You will have less performance problems with wine, if your application is
"supported", but the only ways I know to play with a computer running
linux, is to use native games on linux, and a windows partition to boot on
for games not supported (the great majority, sadly).

I think it is also possible that your GPU's firmware is not as good as on
windows. IIRC, one year ago (~feb. 2012) nouveau was not supporting 3D
acceleration, by example.
I do not know if NVidia's drivers are as good on linux than on windows,
too, and have no idea for ATI.

> My latest thinking for two OS's would be two SATA3 SSD's inside the cas,
> one OS per SDD, and use the BIOS boot menu to choose.

This configuration is the easier to use, since reinstalling windows (I
have this need quite often, but I think it depends on the user) will not
give problems (you will not have to repair linux boot loader).
However, there will still have the problem for $HOME.
For this one, I think the easier is to have a separated partition using a
FAT/NTFS, since linux supports them better than windows supports extX.