Re: PulseAudio--is there a viable alternative?

Le Mer 6 février 2013 1:12, Rob Owens a écrit :
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 09:50:09AM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
>> Those of you who don't use PA, how do you do network streaming?  That
>> is my usecase for PA as it's handy to start a stream on my desktop and
>> send it to the Myth box for playback through the amp.  I can do that
>> from the laptop if I choose as well.  The trick is to use the Sid/Wheezy
>> version of pavucontrol where individual application playback can be
>> selected.  I find PA is useful for directing playback to my set of
>> Logitech portable
>> USB speakers and my laptop.
>>

> I'll jump in with one more good use for pulseaudio:  It is needed for
> sound on LTSP thin clients.  Not important to everyone, I know, but it's
> important to me.
>
> In general, pulseaudio hasn't caused me any real problems.
>

> -Rob

If you are speaking about simply music, then, I simply use mpd, and
configure it to have a network output.
I simply think about mpd as an _interactive_ software following UNIX
philosophy: it have an "stdin" and an "stdout", and only plays music from
playlists (but does it very well).  (I know that UNIX philosophy says that
input and output should be raw text and that it is not for mpd)

You can use any tool you want to drive the input, and you can redirect
it's output where you want, network included ;)

And no needs for pulseaudio.