(WORKED AROUND) Re: Questions about multi-arch and 3rd party packages in Wheezy

On 02/05/2013 12:58 AM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Marc Shapiro wrote:
Erwan David wrote:
I'd rather use gdebi for installing skype thus
gdebi skype-install.deb will install skype and the libraries it depends on.
I managed to install gdebi and tried to use it to install icaclient.
Unfortunately, after installing all of the required i386 libs it
then complained that it could not find nspluginwrapper. Apparently,
nspluginwrapper is available for Squeeze, but not Wheezy.
It was removed.  Here is the removal trail:

So I grabbed the .deb for Squeeze and tried to install it using
gdebi.  It then wanted to uninstall galculator, lxde and 15 other
packages.  Why should it care about lxde?!?  It also wants to
install ia32-libs!!!  The whole point of multi-arch, I thought, is
to eliminate ia32-libs.
Multi-arch wasn't available in Squeeze.  I didn't unravel the
dependencies but undoubted the squeeze version of the nspluginwrapper
package depends upon ia32-libs and that conflicts with anything from
the later Wheezy that depends upon multi-arch.  So trying to install
nspluginwrapper pushes out anything that depends upon multiarch.  But
lxde depends upon galculator.  But I don't know why galculator would
have been pushed out.

How do I get icaclient to work in Wheezy, using multi-arch without
nspluginwrapper available.  Since I need icaclient to connect to
work, if I can not get this to work then I will have to stick with
Squeeze unless and until Citrix decides to release a REAL AMD64
version of icaclient.
One more example of closed source software being an obstacle.

First, I don't know.  I wanted to comment upon the ia32-lib
dependency.  I also want to suggest a chroot.  But since I don't know
about the Citrix icaclient I must add this disclaimer first. :-)

Personally I would create a Squeeze chroot and run the Squeeze version
of this from the chroot on the host Wheezy system.  I have to do that
myself with a different work vpn client.

Bob

Well, I didn't create a chroot and I don't have icaclient running on Wheezy, but I have found a way around the problem. Thinking about using a chroot, my mind (which occasionally works tolerably well) says, "Hey, you can run X programs remotely. Make use of your old box that you replaced last year!" so I did.

Back in November I replaced my old box because it was locking up several times daily. Hard lock. Nothing to do but reboot type lock. I was pretty sure that it was either the graphics card, or the driver for the card, but I decided to get a new box, anyway. It only cost me a few hundred dollars (didn't have to replace the monitor, keyboard, or mouse) and I have a much faster four core machine now.

The old box, meanwhile, has bee running headless, without problems, for the last 72+ days. I left it up and on the LAN to see if it would lock up or not. It didn't. I also left it up in case there was anything that I needed to copy off of it that I had forgotten. There were a few files. Other than that, it has been sitting there, up and running but not accessed. I ran xhost on the new machine, ssh'd to the old box, exported DISPLAY and voila! I can run firefox from there, with a perfectly working icaclient and it displays on the new box. All is well with the world.

Marc