Re: Anybody have a chromebook? Can it run Debian?

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:

> I have no knowledge of the Chromebook than from that presented by Matt
> Garrett. From his explanation, the BIOS erases user data when its
> secure mode is disabled. So long as it's not easy to do accidentally, I
> actually think this is a feature for its target market segment. If that
> is implemented along with encryption of the user data (I don't know, is
> it?), it seems a valuable feature if the Chromebook is lost or stolen.
>
> Perhaps I don't see the greater threat posed by the security mechanism
> employed by the Chromebooks which is a purpose built computer than UEFI
> which is targeted at all future offerings and is, IMO, a greater
> concern. In other words, I can avoid buying a Chromebook but I doubt I
> can avoid UEFI once my current hardware needs upgrading.

MJG's point is that the ChromeBook's implementation of SB's more
restrictive than that of Win8 hardware manufacturers because the
latter allow you to install and run Fedora/OpenSUSE/Ubuntu (or any
other SB-compatible distribution) with SB whereas the ChromeBook
doesn't.