Re: Questions about multi-arch and 3rd party packages in Wheezy

Erwan David wrote:
> Johan Grönqvist said:
> > Marc Shapiro skrev:
> > >Unfortunately, dpkg does not automatically
> > >handle dependancies, like agt-get and aptitude do, so I get a list of
> > >dependencies, all i386 libraries. Is there any way to install such a
> > >package and get the dependant libraries installed other than manually
> > >installing each one?
> >
> > The information about skype on the debian wiki seems to indicate that
> > "apt-get -f install" is the solution. It worked for me for skype.

Yes.  Using dpkg -i and then following up with apt-get -f install is
perfectly reasonable.  The first will install the package without
regard for dependencies.  The second will fill in the dependencies.
This is a long time useful technique.

> I'd rather use gdebi for installing skype thus
>
> gdebi skype-install.deb will install skype and the libraries it depends on.

I am not really familiar with gdebi but as far as I can see from the
documentation it is basically the same.  Seems like six of one and a
half dozen of the other.

Bob