Re: how to get missing multimedia packages

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, Chris Bannister wrote:

Just be aware that if you strike any bugs and any dmo packages are
involved, it will be closed without any further ado. The deb-multimedia
repository is toxic to a healthy wheezy system. Take it from me,
I spent ages cleaning up my system when I installed a usual Debian
package and encountered deb-multimedia's versioning fiasco.

  hi Chris,
  It's striking how one can have so opposite advices! I would compare
  it to medicine, where a given drug may have good results in some cases,
  and bad or even dramatic effects in other cases. For that kind of
  drugs, it is of course generally better to avoid tham, as far as possible.
  For d-m-o, it seems that the probability of messing the whole system is
  low, but that if it occurs, reverting to a healthy system may be
  difficult. I'll then stay with official debian.
  Nevertheless, what do you think of enabling d-m-o just to get a given
  package (avidemux for example), and disabling it immediatly after?

To top it all the maintainer of deb-multimedia seems to have no interest
with working with the pkg-multimedia team. :(

   this was another reason why I was reluctant to enable it.

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel