Re: how to get missing multimedia packages

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 12:22:03PM +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> >Just be aware that if you strike any bugs and any dmo packages are
> >involved, it will be closed without any further ado. The deb-multimedia
> >repository is toxic to a healthy wheezy system. Take it from me,
> >I spent ages cleaning up my system when I installed a usual Debian
> >package and encountered deb-multimedia's versioning fiasco.
>
>   hi Chris,
>   It's striking how one can have so opposite advices! I would compare
>   it to medicine, where a given drug may have good results in some cases,
>   and bad or even dramatic effects in other cases. For that kind of
>   drugs, it is of course generally better to avoid tham, as far as possible.
>   For d-m-o, it seems that the probability of messing the whole system is
>   low, but that if it occurs, reverting to a healthy system may be
>   difficult. I'll then stay with official debian.
>   Nevertheless, what do you think of enabling d-m-o just to get a given
>   package (avidemux for example), and disabling it immediatly after?

Dunno, but check which Debian packages will be removed and replaced by
the deb-multimedia packages, and take note if you decide to go ahead.

You may strike problems later, e.g I found the Debian devede package
wouldn't work. (It would mean using dmo's devede package, and I wasn't
prepared to replace a substantial part of my system with libraries from
deb-multimedia just to get unrelated packages to work.)

It is up to you whether you enable and use the deb-multimedia repo, but
If you do you should probably leave it in and let apt-get sort it all
out, but just be aware of the ffmpeg vs libav-tools situation, and
if you find a bug, and some deb-multimedia packages are dependencies,
then don't waste time reporting it to the Debian BTS.

If you are aware of these issues and you take a proactive role in your
systen upgrades etc, you should be fine.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X