Re: Customized Debian - Was: What are some common problems when using Debian GNU / LINUX?

On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 20:22 -0500, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> very cool. I'm guessing burmester amps, AKG headphones and turtlebeach hardware or similar ?

Pioneer consumer HiFi amp, AKG professional but 30 years old studio
headphones, 1 x RME HDSPe AIO professional sound card + an elCheapo ADAT
device (Linux only supports 2 of 8 ADAT channels for the RME card) and 2
x TerraTec EWX 24/96 (Envy24 semi-professional, a card is around 30,- €
at Ebay).

> I wasn't aware there was professional sound editing software for Linux.
> What sort of software are you running?  Just curious here.

Some of the important apps are Qtractor (MIDI sequencer), Ardour 2 (hard
disk recorder), JAMin (Equalizer and compressor), Yoshimi (Synth),
Fluid-DSSI (Sampleplayer).

> I have no clue about Virtual Box

It's easy to use. I don't have comparison to other virtual machines.
Perhaps other solutions are better.

> I don't buy off the shelf either.  There is no reason for me to do that. My
> biggest concern is support for NVidia quadro cards and that seems to
> be a real problem.  There are closed drivers from NVidia and then other
> drivers from the Debian free repo's call nouveau or some such name.
>
> Regardless, getting a reasonable graphics card to work well seems to
> be a problem.

I don't care much about the graphics. I just care about interaction with
real-time audio, so I sometimes switch from the elCheapo on-board ATI to
an elCheapo PCI express NVIDIA and vice versa.

OTOH it would be nice to have a good workstation for graphic work too,
but I never spend time to calibrate my CRT.

> Sun Ultra 40 machine

The chassis of your computer perhaps is nearly as expensive as my
complete machine without the RME audio card. The chassis and mobo of my
machine are the most weak points here. I still have SATA connectors
without clips, so I felt compelled to hot glue the connectors. I had to
bend the chassis to mount all PCI and PCI express cards.

> getting a movie to play onto my wall

A friend build some media machines using Windows. It's even an issue on
a Windows machine with good driver support.

IIRC the idea was to connect some cinema like screen simply by HDMI to
the integrated graphics and within some minutes everything should work,
but it end with buying several mobos and expensive graphics and was a
little bit more time consuming.

> I am hoping it is something trivial.

I'm booted into Linux at the moment. Maybe a typo in fstab does cause
some voodoo or something similar abstruse does cause the issue.

I can't access BSD partitions by Linux, but I didn't research much until
now.

On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 20:29 -0500, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> What does lsusb report ?

$ lsusb | grep WLAN
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8172 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8191SU
802.11n WLAN Adapter

Networkmanager does detect 8 networks. I guess on this install I never
tested ad hoc, but on other installs (with and without networkmanager)
Linux always detected networks.

Regards,
Ralf