Re: Installation

The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Is that a big enough difference, in your opinion, that I should take the trouble
> to test and document both install processes?

What are you going to install on?  My suggestion would be to use a
software RAID-1 (or RAID-10) and put everything onto that because hard
disks have become too unreliable to put data on only a single disk, and
RAID-5 seems to have become considered as somewhat deprecated.  Since
you put at least the data onto a raid, you can as well put the system
onto a raid, and it makes sense because even when a disk fails, you'd
rather still have a working system than not.

Besides considering the necessity, it might give much more interesting
results.  In any case, it should be a simple task to do it.

The resulting installations should be as much the same as possible.  It
probably won't be very helpful to do something like using the defaults
the different installers present you with and to end up with different
results.  If you want to compare installation procedures, you need to
define the result you want first and then look at how the different
installers perform to achieve the desired result.

So go for something simple, let's say only one file system to hold
everything which resides on a 300GB software raid created from two hard
disks, not using LVM if possible.

--
Debian testing amd64